Waivers of Inadmissibility

You have gone through the lengthy and time consuming process of attempting to immigrate to the United States but, despite your best efforts, you receive notice that you are “inadmissible”. Fortunately, not all hope is lost; you may be able to obtain a waiver of inadmissibility which will allow you to legally reside in the U.S.

Form I-601 Waiver

One waiver that might be available to you is the Form I-601 Waiver. If you have a relative in the United States who is a citizen or lawful permanent resident, and this person would suffer extreme hardship should you be found inadmissible or removed from the country, you might qualify for this waiver. There is no clear definition of extreme hardship and therefore immigration authorities make the determination to grant this type of waiver on a case-by-case basis. The ability to obtain this waiver depends upon the U.S. Immigration authority making the decision and your specific situation. It is therefore important to file a complete application and to paint a clear picture of the extreme hardship that your relative would suffer should you be forced to leave the country. Evidence of a criminal past or prior immigration offenses will likely decrease your chances of obtaining a waiver and it is important to fully disclose and explain anything of this nature, should you have the opportunity. An experienced immigration attorney will be able to assist you in this process.

Form I-212 Waiver

Another waiver that you may be eligible for is the Form I-212 Waiver. Immigrants who have been deported or removed from the United States are automatically considered inadmissible for a certain amount of time, and they may be subjected to a ban from entering the country for a number of years or permanently. If you have find yourself in this situation, you may be able to file a new application for entry after being granted consent to reapply under this type of waiver. Similar to the Form I-601 Waiver, immigration authorities have wide discretion in these cases and take a number of considerations into account. Things like a prior criminal record could negatively affect your application but must be disclosed.

If you have been characterized as inadmissible to the United States, you might have the option to pursue a waiver. A seasoned immigration attorney can explain which waivers you qualify for and help you complete and submit a comprehensive application. Contact our immigration attorneys today.

Serving the entire world from Houston, Texas. Please call the Law Office of Alex M. Torres. You will be glad you did!

© 2024 Law Office of Alex M. Torres | Disclaimer
6250 Westpark Drive, Suite 132, Houston, TX 77057
| Phone: (713) 662-0400

U.S. Citizenship | Deportation Defense | Temporary Visas | Deferred Action | Consular Processing | Permanent Residency | Temporary Protected Status | Violence Against Women Act | Waivers of Inadmissibility | About Us | Directions | Contact Us


Make a Payment - Legal Fees Make a Payment - Immigration Fees